Monday, November 11, 2013

Letter to your Future Self


When you feel good and strong consider writing a letter to yourself that you will read at times you feel vulnerable.  Give yourself advise on how to cope and get better from your strong self to your vulnerable self.  You know best what it feels like to be depressed, anxious, or discouraged.  Here’s some things to include in your letter:
  •  Validation or acceptance of your vulnerable self’s feelings.
  • What things the strong-you does that make you feel better (exercise, positive thoughts, healthy diet, mindfulness, supportive friends…).
  • What helped you leave behind depression or anxiety in the past.
  • Affirmations that you need when feeling weak (others care, every day is a new day, you’ve done this before, it will pass, I love you,…).

·      Advise on what to NOT do as you know from experience (drink, isolate, overeat, negative self-talk).
·      Your personal resources and strengths (intelligence, empathy, energy, caring…).
·      Be supportive, compassionate, caring, encouraging, and understanding of your vulnerable self.
·      Say something hopeful (but believable, remember in dark times no one believes euphemisms)





Sample Letter

Dear ______(name)_________,                                                Date

I know you’re having a tough time right now and I’m writing to encourage you.  Remember that you’ve been through times like this before and you have gotten through it.  I believe in you and I know you will find the tools you need to get through this as well.  I wanted to remind you of things that have worked for us in the past, so you can have some ideas to start working on today.  Don’t try to do them all at once, just begin with the easiest one.  Here’s what’s worked before for us:  exercise, eating more fruits and less donuts, treating yourself to a good book and time to read, doing some mindfulness exercises at bedtime, saying what you’re grateful for when you wake up, going to yoga two times a week, talking to _______, and praying.

I’m here for you.  You have strength within you.  You’re so smart and have helped so many others with your empathy and caring.  Please use those skills to help yourself. I know it would be easy right now to drink more, avoid everyone, and cut yourself down mentally.  I know it is hard to spend time with people who are laughing when you’re feeling sad.  But you’ve gotten through this before and I’m going to help you today and tomorrow.  I love you and I will be with you all the time cheering you on.  I know negative thoughts hurt you when you’re down and you need to tell yourself encouraging things.  Please read these sentences out loud to yourself daily:  This isn’t the worst thing that could happen.  There’s no need to push myself.  I can take as small a step forward as I choose.  Today is a new day and I can live it fully.  Fighting and resisting isn’t going to help.  I’ll just let it pass.  I’m doing the best I can to take care of myself.  I am special.  I am smart.  I am beautiful.  I am loved.   

You are loved!  By me especially and also by ____________.  So go out there and love yourself ______________.  You are strong.  We’ve been through so much together.  I’m glad I can be here with you and help.  We’re going to get through this together.  I’m sure of it.

Love,

_______________, age ______

No comments:

Post a Comment